header-photo

reflection on my trip to Israel


Due to the logistical consideration, this trip was done from North to South of Israel and not based on Chronological sequence.
Day 1
From Singapore to Tel Aviv
Places visited - Caesarea Maritima + Megiddo + Nazareth Biblical Village + Mt Precipice + Nazareth town
It was in interesting experience to step upon the soil of the “Holy land”.
The place helped to explain the scripture because of the references to the actual or traditional sites.
We were not supposed to visit Megiddo. But was glad that the rain helped us to take shelter there. I had always wondered how Megiddo looked like since this would be the place for the final battle.
The Biblical village was very well done up to help us appreciate the times of Jesus. The bonus was to meet my uncle and auntie with Rev Lorna here as well.
Was saddened to see the place of our faith being replaced by others.
Nazareth had been occupied by the muslim for a long time now.

Day 2
Journey to Mt of Beatitudes, Mt Beatitudes, Capernaum, Near St Peter’s Primacy,
Crossing Sea Galilee
Mt of Beatitudes was very crowded. Many came to read scriptures, worship and visit this historic place. Wondered if their acts were worship or ritual. Such a fine line.
Capernaum was a good education site to show us how close the people stayed with one another. It further reinforced the experience at the biblical village. Jesus was a next door neighbour to the people in this place. While a happening town during Jesus’ time, this place is no bigger than 2 football field.
Crossing the Galilee sea was a very nice experience. Beside, soaking in all the memories we read about what Jesus did, I was treated to an experience of casting net too. I managed to catch 1 fish! Haah. Guide told us that it was great because most could not due to the engine of the boat. Jo encouraged me that because I was teachable, God would bless me with fruits or fish! What a blessing to have jo with me to speak such wise words to me! Felt that was indeed His encouragement.

Day 3
Before Jordon; St Peter’s Primacy and Cliff, Jordon River, Journey to Jerusalem
Instead of Tabgha, we went to St Peter’s Primacy. As I stared into the sea of Galilee, I heard someone singing the song with words of Jn21. Then I heard a preacher preaching behind me about the passage. When I walked to the status, I saw “Feed My Sheep”. It was likened to Jesus telling me 3 times that if I loved Him I should feed His sheep. I felt so moved within.
Yes Lord. I am determined to grow in loving You through serving Your people!
It was not a chance event that only Primacy’s was open at that hour. It was God’s place for me at His time.
Drove past the Cliff whereby traditionally believed to be the place whereby the swine rushed down when they were possessed by the demonic spirits.
Another bonus visit.
Reached Jordon river. Decided to go down the river for personal experience. But as I went through the experience, I suddenly was awakened to the fact that I shared Jesus’ experience in Jordon river too. It was definitely not a baptism experience for me. But I believe it was God’s provision for me to rededicate and reaffirm my baptismal commitment made 22yrs ago when I was 21. After Primacy (recommissioning) to Jordon (rededicating) I felt so blessed in this trip.
AS we entered Jerusalem, i was feeling excited. Finally, we were reaching the final place of the Jesus’ earthly ministry. When I saw the dome, I was feeling very mixed and yet hopeful. Mixed because it was occupied by the muslim, hopeful because God promised a new Jerusalem.

Day 4
Bethlehem, Shepherd’s field, Holy Sepulchre, Via Dolorosa, Upper Room
Saw the words – Fear builds walls and Friendship builds bridges on the Palestine area.
Appreciated the drawings as it was the way then to communicate the story of Jesus. Yet mindful of the possible idolatry practices involved.
When through most of the 14 stations. Could not feel much because of the deep religious practices.
But was sad that it had turned out to be such. Another place was Mt Zion – the Holy Mountain of God. It had become living quarters of muslim and others. Nothing really spiritual except the traditional sites for the Upper room and David’s burial site.

Day 5
Church of St Peter in Gallicantu, Dominus Flevit, Triumphant entrance, Garden of Gethsemane, Church of all nations
The place with the greatest impact for us was when we were at the dungeon reading Ps 84. Caught a glimpse of Jesus’ pain of isolation and disappointment.
Spent considerable time there pondering on the cross…I missed You Lord.

Day 6
Garden Tomb, Damascus Gates, Western wall, Southern Wall
God provided SUN on this place (rain for Gesthsemane) and for us an ordained minister to serve us Lord’s supper – Rev Lorna.
It was great to meet my uncle and auntie and Rev Lorna there. She was so kind to administer the elements to us.
We spent some time reflecting on the significance of the place. But finally I felt the greatest point of this place was to show that He was not here anymore!
At the southern wall, appreciated the other guide who told his group about the significant of the place ie Peter preached to 3000 and baptised them there. And the reference to Mt of Olive during Jesus’ ministry. Again God provided.

Day 7
Free and easy
Saw Zechariah’s tomb and the dial with all the places marked. Jerusalem was truly a place for bible study and understanding.
Home

Overall
Thankful to God for the trip, for the chance to share my life, for His provision throughout.
Personally felt recommissioned, rededicated and renewed to start His ministry.
Also during the last few days, the call to cancel the family trip was made because of H1N1. Was sad and worried about losing the money involved. God assured me with His reminder that He had provided. True enough, Korea Air refunded us in FULL.
Praise God for He is truly our Provider!

1 comments:

blogpastor said...

Happy to see that you feel a sense of being re-commissioned. Wonderful!

Post a Comment