header-photo

Gospel of the 5th Sparrow

I was told of an illustration which blessed my heart greatly.

There was a boy who came to church and asked to be baptised.
The pastor interviewed him about the conversion story to make sure that the boy knew what he was about to do.
“I am the 5th sparrow!” said the boy.
“What?” exclaimed the pastor. He was puzzled by the boy’s answer as it was not a usual answer.
“Jesus assured me that I would not be forgotten even though I maybe poor and without a home” explained the boy.
He went on and described his daily job, “I catch and sell sparrows in the street. 2 sparrows for a penny and 5 for 2pennies.”
“I will give the weakest and smallest sparrow as the free sparrow” explained the boy.
“So how do you know about God and His love for you?” the pastor interrupted.

The boy explained his learning from the previous sermon he heard.
“You mentioned that in God’s word, He knew about the sparrows and not one of them will fall to the ground apart from His will.”
“And even for the 5th sparrow, it will not be forgotten by God.”
Matthew 10:29 (New International Version)
29Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.
Luke 12:6 (New International Version)
6Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.

“I am surprised that He knows about my trade and He values even the discarded free 5th sparrow.”
“I want to follow Him” affirmed the boy.

With tears in his eyes, the pastor placed his hand on the head of the boy and said, “Yes, He know all of us. He will never leave us nor forsake us. Even if we are the 5th sparrow.”

Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment